Monday, January 17, 2011

Once Upon a Time.......

How this story began.....

Once upon a time (a week and a half ago) in a land far away (San Diego) there was a boy named Carlos. On one particular night at about 2AM after finishing a bottle of wine Carlos had the great idea of flying to the far away land of Argentina where the rivers flowed with wine and were lined with beautiful Argentinean women, ....and becoming "Carlitos".....he could pretend he was Domincan, right? The next morning, Carlos woke with a ticket to Buenos Aires, a wine hangover, and a week and half to plan out a two month long backpack trip through South America. And that's how all of the bad decisions began....

...sooo, how did the journey actually start?

There are a couple of things I value in life. Good people, good food, good booze (wine), and experiences. Through our experiences we discover ourselves and the world around us. What we like and what we hate. Who we are and who we're not. Through everything we touch in the world, we learn how to feel what we touch in a different way...so, through experience, you become more "you". So what happens when you've gained hold of your identity and realize who you are? What good is experience then? Well, my view is that it does the same thing, but better. Experience brings us back to life...revives us and reminds us why we wake up in the morning. Whether its for your kid, your job, your beer, or your dance, each refreshing experience reminds you what makes your life worth living. That is exactly what this trip is. Aside from the less honorable stories I'll pick up during this trip, its just me taking the opportunity to feel alive, discover more "me", and get in touch with the "me" that may have been suppressed in my more recent pursuits. This trip is the pursuit of balance and filling an open mind. There's a lot more to this trip and surrounding this trip than superficial needs and superficial pleasures....but for now, that'll do. If you hang in, you get the story.

Why the hell would I write this?

With a millions of whiny emo's blogging their every thought and emotion that would better be left unsaid, and millions of backpackers using the web to record their "epic journey" that seems like a carbon copy of the next guys, why would I bother blogging mine? 2 reasons

- 1-
To share this little adventure with the friends and family that I haven't taken an epic journey yet, but plan to in the future. Mostly, I'm hoping to trigger one of them to make a life improving yet erratic and potentially bad decision.

-2-
TO ASK FOR HELP!!! This is where things get interesting. I am honestly the least creative person I know...but I am very good at enacting plans...and I have a ton of friends that are way more creative than I am...so here goes. With the exception of Venezuela and Columbia and still having to be financially feasible, if anyone finds some crazy thing to do on this continent and posts it on my page, I WILL DO IT. If I don't...I dunno....I'll fly to your city and dinner and drinks for the night are on me....but that's the gyst of it.

Back to the Journey

Now with that said, even though I've got a week and a half of "journey" to catchup posting on, it will have to wait until tomorrow. Right now, its 7 PM and I'm dead tired because I didn't sleep last night, but the crew here at the hostel is pre-gaming to get ready to go to the clubs when they open....at 2:30 AM, and then ride out through the night from there. I'm one of two Yank's here so I will not be outdone! But I can't hang with these Brazilian chicks on the dance floor in this condition, so I'm calling it quits to take a nap for a couple hours before we ride out. This is going to be a long couple months!

Tonights Mission: Survive

No comments:

Post a Comment