So, its Friday morning...January 21st (I think). Last night was a looooong night and today started way too early, but I had to say goodbye to some friends that are leaving and plan my trip considering I'm supposed to leave tomorrow. In all honesty, I'm barely adapting this whole thing. Its an insane combination of cultural and sensory overload, but in an awesome way. Somehow, every morning everyone here wakes up and engages in some cultural exposure oriented activity....slightly hung over. They're usually in groups of three that have the same dynamic.
The Explanation of Backpacker Group Dynamics
One person in the group wakes up bright eyed and bushy tailed after a good night's sleep...about 3 hours, and then makes a racket and forces the other two to wake up. They usher the others through the bathroom as the "initiator" begins making plans of the morning activities. For the next 5 hours, the other 2 grumble, take pictures, and beg the initiator for aspirin and water hoping to abate their ever present hangovers. At some random point, person number 2 (the "middleman") get's their magical craving satisfied (usually something chocolate or wine related for the girls, and beer for the guys) and takes over keeping the energy level up for the group. This person continues to be driven by food. At about 8 or 9 at night, person 3 ("calamity") finally wakes up and starts making plans for the night. Plans that seem remarkably similar to whatever made them useless the entire preceding day. But they're amazing plans! So everyone goes along! "Calamity" finds alcohol for the group the way the middleman provided food.....tricks them into doing something "just to check it out", and before you know it, 6 AM rolls around and they're all stumbling back to the hostel carrying the initiator who almost passed out on the table and one of them is claiming that a magical Leprechaun ushered them home (true story....I love the Dutch). And the next day they do it again. It is amazing....flawless....and a series of bad ideas intended to make life interesting.
Discovering La Boca and Buenos Aires' Port
So, anyways, the less degenerate portion of yesterday was amazing. I was abducted once again by fellow backpackers who showed me an amazing time and kept me laughing with the interactions. The entire experience surrounded La Boca, which as touristy as it feels bleeds Argentine and South American/Latin American culture. It is a small district on the brim of Buenos Aires on the edge of Port Merdero. The streets are riddled with shops, street performers and Tango dancers, tons of restaurants filled with Argentines as well as backpacking expats who are making a buck to finance their next travel, and have pretty amazing stories to share. The streets are mostly cobblestone and the buildings are gritty and painted in a variety of flamboyant colors. Graffiti is all over the place, and bleeds character. The district in general has a very Latin American feel, but still brings to mind my idea of the Caribbean. I love how everywhere I go here still feels gritty. Its like the Argentines love this place so much that they refuse to change it, and they love it because of the balance they keep. The passion that everywhere here bleeds would, to most Americans, be categorized as fairly feminine. The Tango dancers, the kisses on the cheek that everyone gives you (even if you've just met), the way they love their food. But I have to respect it when I look around because its easy to tell that a lot of these neighborhoods aren't the best, so whatever you are is probably earned and defended. There are remnants of revolutions and struggles everywhere here. From the statues commemorating victors and victories, to the rebellious graffiti reminiscent of the early stages of original hip hop and expresses recent discontent...but you can tell that the feelings and reasoning behind their graffiti are rooted much deeper in their blood here. A passionate people, that earn the right to be so. Their arrogance about is so masculine that it balances it out. On top of that, this guy doing the Tango seems to be wearing women's boots and clothing, but has this hot little dancer running around him. Almost like he's bossing her around on the dance floor and she's loving it. So, a recommendation if you are ever here. A huge steak lunch at a street side cafe with live Tango and Flamenco dancers and live singers performing right in front of you. I definitely recommend it.
So, What's Next?
In all honesty, I haven't done nearly as much exploring as I should have since I've been here. I'm enjoying the idea of making this a lazy "holiday" (even though partying here almost seems like work), but the most amazing part of this trip so far has been the people I've met. The "backpacker" and long term traveler types are really interesting....yet quirky, but still fun people. So, I'm thinking of asking for a job at one of these hostels and just hanging out and working for a few weeks as a way to meet people. Who knows....it sounds like an interesting idea. If not that, then 48 hours from now, I will likely be in a different country. I've no idea what is in store today or tonight...I'm anticipating mellow though. Lucky for me, the Argentines actually do mellow pretty well. Time to catch up on my wine education. I love this place.
The Explanation of Backpacker Group Dynamics
One person in the group wakes up bright eyed and bushy tailed after a good night's sleep...about 3 hours, and then makes a racket and forces the other two to wake up. They usher the others through the bathroom as the "initiator" begins making plans of the morning activities. For the next 5 hours, the other 2 grumble, take pictures, and beg the initiator for aspirin and water hoping to abate their ever present hangovers. At some random point, person number 2 (the "middleman") get's their magical craving satisfied (usually something chocolate or wine related for the girls, and beer for the guys) and takes over keeping the energy level up for the group. This person continues to be driven by food. At about 8 or 9 at night, person 3 ("calamity") finally wakes up and starts making plans for the night. Plans that seem remarkably similar to whatever made them useless the entire preceding day. But they're amazing plans! So everyone goes along! "Calamity" finds alcohol for the group the way the middleman provided food.....tricks them into doing something "just to check it out", and before you know it, 6 AM rolls around and they're all stumbling back to the hostel carrying the initiator who almost passed out on the table and one of them is claiming that a magical Leprechaun ushered them home (true story....I love the Dutch). And the next day they do it again. It is amazing....flawless....and a series of bad ideas intended to make life interesting.
A More Superficial Topic.....REALLY RANDOM PARTIES, Crazy Taxis, and Transvestite Clubs
The most interesting thing about yesterday was that even though I'm a solo traveler, I ended up the fourth addition to the 3 backpacker dynamic listed above. And the calamity rolled through pretty easily. I think from now on I won't be able to post nearly as much as I'd like to...one because I can't remember it all.....and two because this record stays. But just a synopsis, at about 4 AM this morning I was in the VIP section of a notorious transvestite themed club (don't worry, cup checking was in order....no incidents), with tons of characters decked out like Matrix influenced anime and a 4 hour long professional break dancing competition going on the entire time on the main stage, a group of about 100 backpackers from my hostel rolled en mass which made it that much better. It was such a trap though! The conversation lead up goes like this...
girl -"Have you bought your ticket to the club yet"
Carlos - "Not yet. Does it look like it'll be any good?"
girl - "Yeah everyone's going, you should go. We should all share a taxi...."
Carlos - " Got it." Carlos proceeds to buy his ticket.
Other girl - "So are you going to that transvestite bar thing?"
Carlos - "Wait...WHAT?!"
Other girl - "Yeah, the club supposedly is transvestite themed and has them all over the place. Check out the poster"
Sure enough....the poster looks twisted as all hell with scantily clad girls and he shes. I can't tell which ones are actually girls. Its too late to refund the ticket. Trapped again. lucky for me, the only transvestites are the crazily dressed ones that were employed by the club....I think. I hope. I'm just going to tell myself that. On the insane bright side, the show was awesome, I'd recommend it to anyone, and there was no walk of shame afterwards. If you're going to Buenos Aires, take a group of friends and hit "Club 69". Remember to cup check.
On the way to the club, which was about a 20 minute ride, there was a herd of taxi cabs filled with backpackers from my hostel that looked like a stampede of little black and yellow Chevy Aveo's that were actually racing and zig zagging lanes, driving in opposite bound lanes at some point. I'm not sure if the taxi drivers were trying to entertain us or themselves. And just one more thing to prepare yourself for in Argentina. It seems like after every taxi journey, the ride will leave you thinking "for real? Did that just happen? Is that allowed to happen? Screw it....I hope we get that guy again." And odds are, you will get that guy again....so remember his name...it'll make the interaction that much better next time.
A Senior...no wait...."Sober Moment"???
I had another story I wanted to share that had an insane amount of meaning behind it....but in all honesty, there isn't enough fluid in my brain for everything to work correctly.
Discovering La Boca and Buenos Aires' Port
So, anyways, the less degenerate portion of yesterday was amazing. I was abducted once again by fellow backpackers who showed me an amazing time and kept me laughing with the interactions. The entire experience surrounded La Boca, which as touristy as it feels bleeds Argentine and South American/Latin American culture. It is a small district on the brim of Buenos Aires on the edge of Port Merdero. The streets are riddled with shops, street performers and Tango dancers, tons of restaurants filled with Argentines as well as backpacking expats who are making a buck to finance their next travel, and have pretty amazing stories to share. The streets are mostly cobblestone and the buildings are gritty and painted in a variety of flamboyant colors. Graffiti is all over the place, and bleeds character. The district in general has a very Latin American feel, but still brings to mind my idea of the Caribbean. I love how everywhere I go here still feels gritty. Its like the Argentines love this place so much that they refuse to change it, and they love it because of the balance they keep. The passion that everywhere here bleeds would, to most Americans, be categorized as fairly feminine. The Tango dancers, the kisses on the cheek that everyone gives you (even if you've just met), the way they love their food. But I have to respect it when I look around because its easy to tell that a lot of these neighborhoods aren't the best, so whatever you are is probably earned and defended. There are remnants of revolutions and struggles everywhere here. From the statues commemorating victors and victories, to the rebellious graffiti reminiscent of the early stages of original hip hop and expresses recent discontent...but you can tell that the feelings and reasoning behind their graffiti are rooted much deeper in their blood here. A passionate people, that earn the right to be so. Their arrogance about is so masculine that it balances it out. On top of that, this guy doing the Tango seems to be wearing women's boots and clothing, but has this hot little dancer running around him. Almost like he's bossing her around on the dance floor and she's loving it. So, a recommendation if you are ever here. A huge steak lunch at a street side cafe with live Tango and Flamenco dancers and live singers performing right in front of you. I definitely recommend it.
So, What's Next?
In all honesty, I haven't done nearly as much exploring as I should have since I've been here. I'm enjoying the idea of making this a lazy "holiday" (even though partying here almost seems like work), but the most amazing part of this trip so far has been the people I've met. The "backpacker" and long term traveler types are really interesting....yet quirky, but still fun people. So, I'm thinking of asking for a job at one of these hostels and just hanging out and working for a few weeks as a way to meet people. Who knows....it sounds like an interesting idea. If not that, then 48 hours from now, I will likely be in a different country. I've no idea what is in store today or tonight...I'm anticipating mellow though. Lucky for me, the Argentines actually do mellow pretty well. Time to catch up on my wine education. I love this place.
No comments:
Post a Comment